Thursday, November 4, 2010

Right On Time

Today’s bit of wisdom from Hay House’s “I Can 2010”:
Life always reveals what I need to know, exactly when I need to know it!
This is so true.  Hopefully, it doesn’t come with an “OH Sugar” moment, but even then it’s still a truism.  Yesterday, I had a long, long chat with a friend of mine whom I’ve known for 26 or 27 years.  Since I was 4?  Or was that 5?
He showed me how to arrive at my “At Rest Metabolic Rate”.  It was a real eye opener.  I’d always wondered how people who are wheelchair or bed bound aren’t gargantuan.  Not to say that some aren’t, but there are plenty of these folks who are still in-shape.  Now I know why.  So I learned that my RMR number is around 2100 – 2400 calories a day.  It was a great new life tool.  Some days I work at a desk for 8 – 12 hours in a day and by the time I get out of work, I don’t want to do anything but go home and put my feet up.  Yes my body craves exercise on these days (as it does EVERY single day of my life), but some days mentally I just want to be home and still.  So if that is my day, and I eat 3500 calories, I am going to gain weight.  Not MIGHT gain weight, I WILL gain weight.  It’s a scientific fact.  And it’s a fact that should be taught to every student way more than once.
On the other side of the coin, it gives me a tool to use to observe how my caloric intake can be better balanced against this Rate.  So if my At Rest Rate is 2200, then if I eat 1800 calories and have an active day and participate in exercise or yoga, I WILL lose weight.  (The size of this weight loss will be determined over a period of time.  Not just in one day.)  It’s a scientific fact.  (To break it down in Dan facts, if I BLEACH my hair, I know it’s a scientific fact it will be blond.)  So now that I know what my absolute ‘minimum’ is, if I stay well beyond that on the positive side, I will continue to lose weight.
Frank (friend from above) also discussed foods with me.  One of my favorite things is coffee in the morning.  Frank asked if I used skim milk and/or sugar.  The answer to both was no for me.  However, I do use Half & Half.  (Skim just doesn’t cut it for me!)  Frank encouraged me to look at the caloric count on my ½ & ½ container.  The serving size is 2 tablespoons.  Those ding in at 40 calories.  I have 2 or 3 cups a morning.  80 – 120 calories.  Then Frank asked if I used 2 tablespoons or free poured.  What do you think?  While I ain’t a-gonna give up ½ & ½, I will watch how much I use.
So now I have more things to think about as I take my journey.  And as I learned from Hay House, “It arrived exactly when you need it.”
Love and peace!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment